Work with us
Practice Nurse RGN
Reports To: Managing Director and Practice Manager
Accountable To: Partners of TLOC
Hours of duty: 40 hours a week
Location: 79 Wimpole St, London, W1G 9RY
Salary: Negotiable, depending on experience
Start Date: TBC
To provide outstanding care of patients with orthopaedic conditions (including casts, wound care, bracing, external fixators, pre and post operative care and advice, phlebotomy) to the London Orthopaedic Clinic in their outpatient department.
To support and assist the consultants of TLOC with their outpatient treatments.
To work both independently and within a team.
Manage patient enquiries regarding their treatment and escalate to the appporiate body if and when required.
Assist with the busy ultrasound service.
The applicant must have a professional approach to work, pay attention to detail and have an enthusiasm to create a sound work environment for the London Orthopaedic Clinic. Be instrumental in the future growth of TLOC.
Key tasks / Responsibilities: (not in priority order)
- Assist with the ultrasound service.
- Act as the Infection Control Link Nurse, attend monthly meetings and carry out pertinent duties such as auditing.
- To ensure all clinical policies and procedures are up to date and to work with the clinical team for an efficient and professional service to cover The London Orthopaedic Clinic.
- Lead on quality and patient related outcomes for the organisation and work with the governance committee.
- Communicate effectively with all departments, in order to ensure effective and efficient running of the practice.
- Maintain a clean work environment, making sure stock levels are adequate.
- Proficient removal of casts/dressings/sutures and application of casts and dressings as directed by the consultants or at own discretion – this skill will be supported by the orthopaedic technician and education is provided.
- To complete appropriate documentation for billing of services provided.
- Accurate record keeping.
- Maintain a high standard of individualised care for all patients and relatives.
- To ensure safe and appropriate discharge from the department following consultation/ treatment.
- To adhere to Clinic policy and NMC guidelines.
- Maintain effective up to date communication with colleagues, patients and their relatives.
- Act as an effective role model and patient’s advocate at all times.
- Be flexible in staffing situations and the covering of annual, study and sick leave.
- To maintain a safe clinical environment for both patients and staff.
- To report incidents and complaints immediately to the Practice Manager.
- Be proactive with own CPD.
- Promote research based practice, quality assurance and clinical audit, where appropriate.
- Ensure that drug administration, control and purchasing is in accordance with legislative requirements and clinic regulations.
- To be familiar with and understand the Clinic’s Disciplinary Policy and Procedures.
- Complete yearly mandatory training.
- Participate in your individual performance review within the first three months of employment and annually thereafter.
This job description may be reviewed in order to meet organisational needs.
- Previous orthopaedic experience, preferably in the private sector.
- Previous audit and evidence – based practice experience.
- Qualified Adult Nurse – NMC registered.
- Mentorship qualifications (desirable)
- Excellent patient care skills.
- Sound wound care knowledge and demonstration of this in a clinical setting.
- Working autonomously as well as within a team.
- Excellent communication skills and professional manner.
- Being able to prioritise workloads.
- Being able to acknowledge patients needs and the clinic needs.
- Audits, reporting and action planning
- Casting experience would be advantageous, but training can be provided to the successful candidate.
- Organisational skills to plan for the clinical/practice service.
- To have excellent interpersonal skills and to have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team with motivation to succeed in all tasks.
- Flexibility, friendly disposition, smart and professional in appearance.
To apply for this position, please send a CV and covering letter to Mandy O’Connor by e-mail: Mandy.O’Connor@londonorthopaedic.com