Ankle Pain When Walking
February 11th, 2019 by LOC Team
The ankle is a very complex thing. There are loads of tendons, bones, ligaments and cartilage. This means that ankle pain can be any number of things. Plus, it has to support your weight whenever you aren’t sitting down. This means that ankles are a very common place to get an injury, and this injury can cause pain when walking.
General causes of ankle pain when walking
In general, most ankle pain when walking is caused by an injury caused by physical activity. Of course, there are other ankle conditions that don’t fall into this category, but most commonly, ankle pain when walking is caused by an injury following some form of activity.
Injuries that cause ankle pain when walking
- Bruising – if you hit your ankle hard enough, it can cause bruising that can cause pain when you are walking.
- Tendonitis – overworking your ankle can cause damage to your tendons which will then swell and cause pain while you are walking.
- Sprains and strains – these are soft tissue injuries that will cause pain in your ankle while walking for a few weeks.
- Fractures – if you suspect that you’ve fractured a bone in your ankle, don’t walk on it. Walking on a broken ankle will cause a lot of pain and possibly irreparable damage!
Conditions that can cause ankle pain when walking
- Gout – a type of arthritis. It is prevalent in the feet and ankle. This is a build up of acid that should dissolve into your blood. However, when it doesn’t, it builds up in your joints and causes pain. With gout, you may notice pain in your big toe at first that will travel to your heel, ankle and then other joints.
- Osteoarthritis – the most common form of arthritis. This is caused by a breakdown of cartilage. If you are older, have had a previous ankle injury or are overweight, osteoarthritis may be the cause of your ankle pain when walking.
- Peripheral neuropathy – this is damage to your nerves. Nerve damage in your ankle can be caused by infections, diseases, trauma or tumours.
Diagnosing ankle pain while walking
As you can see, there are a lot of causes of ankle pain while walking. Each of the causes above have their own symptoms. However, these symptoms of ankle pain often overlap. This makes diagnosing ankle pain difficult. So when you see your doctor, tell them everything. Every symptom, how you think it happened, everything. This gives your doctor a fighting chance of diagnosing the exact cause of your ankle pain.
Treating ankle pain
If you have one of the more common and less serious ankle conditions above, your ankle will likely heal within a few weeks. Some of the more serious conditions above will take longer and some never go away, but the pain can be treated.
To find out more about the ankle conditions mentioned above, explore our website further. If you’d like our help with your ankle pain, please get in touch. We can diagnose your ankle pain and create a treatment plan to get you back on your feet, enjoying life again!